From the Green Suites Restaurant, taking advantage of the fact that you have a bit more time on your hands to cook these days, we’ve compiled two simple and delicious recipes for you to make at home, for everyone who is making sure to not go out. As you’ll see, below are two meals you can make with simple and easy to find ingredients. Want to try them out with us?
Salmorejo with toppings, easy to make and great tasting
Salmorejo (Sal-more- eh-hoe), is a wonderfully refreshing Spanish dish. Similar to a cold tomato soup, this is made with some of the very best ingredients and always a great option, especially when the temperatures start to rise. This dish is also quite simple and only requires 5 ingredients to put together. The key to getting this Spanish soup just right is to use day old bread to give it a natural thickness and top with ham or bacon bits along with a chopped hard-boiled egg. You are going to love this dish from the very first spoonful!
Ingredients for 4 people
The components of Salmorejo, as you’ll be able to tell, are easy to find and highly nutritious. This refreshing dish can be served as a starter or first course, with or without the toppings of course, however we’ll include the full recipe so you to try this delicious gastronomic treat however you like. If you don’t have the topping ingredients on hand, don’t worry, this dish is tasty either way.
For the Salmorejo:
– 150 ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 1 kg of ripe red tomatoes
– 200 gr of white bread
– 1 garlic clove
– pinch of salt
For the Toppings:
-Bits of Serrano ham or bacon bits
-Two hard-boiled eggs
- Rinse the tomatoes and chop them into dice sized pieces, add them to a bowl and blend with an immersion blender until they are well blended.
- Pour the liquid through a strainer to remove any unwanted seeds and peal slices.
- Begin to break the bread up into small pieces (it is better if the bread is 1 or 2 days old). Add the bread pieces to the tomato mixture. This will help it to absorb the tomato liquid and soften, making it easier to blend with the other ingredients.
- Meanwhile, peal the garlic, making sure to remove the center to give it a lesser aftertaste and add it to the bowl with the tomato and bread.
- Pour the indicated amount of oil into the bowl along with a pinch of salt to taste.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the mix until it is a smooth liquid.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for a few hours or until the Salmorejo has chilled.
Once the Salmorejo has chilled, all you’ll need to do is serve and add the toppings on top. For this, we recommend you use a bowl or a deep plate. To give this dish that final touch, you can add on the ham bits, the hard-boiled egg and the olive oil. As you can see, with few ingredients and in very little time, you’ve made a delicious and nutritious plate that everyone will enjoy at the table.
As a final note, there are a variety of recipes out there for Salmorejo that add in cucumber, green pepper and onion to the bread, tomatoes, oil and garlic. But, we’ll leave that up to you whether you choose to add them in or not! Why not try your hand at a bit of Salmorejo with toppings at home?
Vegetable Tempura, a savory and original recipe
Want to enjoy a bit of veggies while you’re at home, but tired of the same old stir fry and steamed versions? Switch things up and make your own fried vegetable tempura as the perfect alternative. With the fresh or frozen vegetables you have on hand and just a few more ingredients you’ll have an original and delicious plate without spending hours in the kitchen. Take note of what just might become your new favorite side dish!
Ingredients for 4 people
- 150 gr all-purpose flour or flour for frying
- 200 ml of cold water
- Vegetable or sunflower seed oil for frying
- Preferred Vegetables: peppers, eggplant, onion, zucchini, carrots…
- Pinch of salt
- Wash the vegetables and chop them into strips or julienne them and set aside.
- To prepare the tempura mixture, place the flour, cold water and salt into a bowl and use a mixer blend it into a creamy liquid.
- When the mixture is ready, heat the oil in a pan
- When the oil is heated, coat the sliced vegetables well in the tempura mixture and place in the oil to cook until the outer edges are fried to the desired consistency.
There you have it! In just four steps, you can reinvent your vegetables in a new and delicious way. To serve, place the vegetables on a paper towel or napkin lined plate to absorb any excess oil. Serve immediately after, because the trick to enjoying any tempura is to serve and enjoy right out of the pan. Can you just imagine the crunchy vegetables now? What are you waiting for to try it out at home?